Our purpose at Cookpad is to make everyday cooking fun. Not just because we like food but because we believe that cooking is key to a happier and healthier life for people, communities and the planet.
Everyday, home cooking has a profound impact on ourselves and the world around us: it makes us healthier, connects us with our friends and family, and makes our environment more sustainable. By solving the problems related to everyday cooking and encouraging more people to cook, we believe we can help build a better world.
We are building a team of diverse, exceptional problem-solvers from around the world. We only hire passionate, smart and innovative people who want to make a difference.
Cookpad started out in Japan and is already the largest recipe sharing community in the world with nearly 4 million recipes created by users active in 60 countries.
But we’re only just getting started.
We’ve just set up our international HQ in the UK. Here we operate as a start-up with global ambition. We work in small, collaborative teams and in a creative, fast-paced environment.
The role is based in Bristol, UK - a city on National Geographic’s Cool List 2018 http://www.natgeotraveller.co.uk/smart-travel/features/the-cool-list-2018/ and the best place to live in the UK according to the Sunday Times Best Places to Live Guide 2017 http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-39320118
The role - what you will do
- Design, code, and deliver innovative search experiences on Ruby on Rails and Elasticsearch
- Ranking quality evaluation and data analysis
- Natural language processing for query and contents understanding in multiple languages
- Investigate and resolve performance bottlenecks and inefficiencies
- Optimize the code and query execution plan for faster response
- Write clean, maintainable, and well-tested code
What we are looking for
- Senior level engineering skills with computer science fundamentals
- Programming experience in Python, Ruby, or Java
- Previous experience with intelligent Information Retrieval (Elasticsearch, Solr, Lucene or others)
- Comfortable with the full stack to deliver features from idea to production
- Inquisitive, motivated, and comfortable working with a distributed, multinational team
- Experience with any of the following is nice to have: Machine Learning, Natural Language Processing, Recommendation Systems
Why join Cookpad?
People join Cookpad to be part of something bigger - to make a difference.
We offer competitive salaries and all the benefits you’d expect, including a generous 7% employer pension contribution, private medical insurance + cycle to work and childcare voucher schemes.
We also do a few things you might not expect. From breakfast to team lunches, from pilates to cooking lessons, from time off for voluntary work to company socials.
We believe that the space we work in is important. We’re creating a beautiful, innovative work environment that reflects our culture and values.
What happens next?
It’s important that you get to know us and that we get to know you.
Please apply using the link below. As well as your CV, we’d like to hear why you’re interested in the role and how your skills and experience will help you contribute to the team.
We will let you know if we’d like you to come in and meet some of the team. As part of the interview process we will be assessing technical capability and logical reasoning skills.
Screening: Your application and resume will be screened by one of our technical review teams. It helps if we can also view sample code via a Github, Stackoverflow, or BitBucket profile.
Technical assignment: If your experience and skills are a match, you will be asked to undertake a technical assignment.
Interviews: We usually conduct 2-3 interviews with our top developers and the Cookpad management team. We want to give you the opportunity to find out more about us, as we understand more about your own skills and motivations.
The Cookpad team is made up of an incredible, diverse range of people. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, colour, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.