Senior Search Engineer
Our purpose at Cookpad is to make everyday cooking fun. Not just because we like food but because we believe that cooking is key to a happier and healthier life for people, communities and the planet.
Cookpad started life in Japan and is now the largest recipe sharing community in the world with over 5 million recipes created by users active in more than 70 countries. But we’re only just getting started.
If you have proven experience in developing diverse aspects of large-scale search or machine learning systems, especially addressing the challenges brought by a global audience speaking many languages, then Cookpad might be just the place to take your skills to the next level. We are building a team of diverse, exceptional problem-solvers from around the world. We only hire passionate, smart and innovative people who want to make a difference.
The role is based in Bristol, UK - a city on National Geographic’s Cool List 2018 http://www.natgeotraveller.co.uk/smart-travel/features/the-cool-list-2018
A typical day might include any of the following:
- Implement an experimental model for an aspect of search relevance, preparing to A/B test it against our existing baseline (and being prepared to fail!).
- Work on a “spike” to find potential approaches to a particularly tricky search or systems problem, sharing with the team.
- Explore API performance to further improve response times while still ensuring the results are personalised for every user.
- Expand some user stories for the next sprint, discussing with Machine Learning Researchers and global Community Managers to understand both what is possible and what will make our end users love Cookpad even more.
- Refactor a section of code to fix the flaky test that seems to intermittently fail, especially when you want to release something new and exciting to production.
- Reduce build time and docker image size to bring the lag from merge to release back under 10 minutes.
- Automate an element of pull request review, freeing team time to spend on more exciting development work.
We’d expect a good candidate to have at least one demonstrable outstanding area of expertise from the following, with strong knowledge of at least three others (but the more the better!):
- Apache Spark
- Machine learning (particularly deep learning and / or natural language processing)
- Ability to read and write one or more languages other than English
In addition, you'll be happy working in a fast-paced team and releasing regularly while continually developing your own knowledge and sharing / supporting others, both within the search team and beyond.
Why join Cookpad?
People join us because they share our vision to improve people’s lives. As a company Cookpad invests heavily in learning and development -we hire smart people who thrive in small, highly collaborative and energised teams, and who look at what we do and want to be part of it.
Valuing our team means we offer competitive salaries, an employee referral scheme and very generous benefits, including 7% employer pension contribution, income protection and life insurance, and an employee referral scheme. We are central to transport hubs and bike routes which helps with flexible working and all-important downtime with family and friends.
We do a few things you might not expect; Breakfast is provided every day. We have a fully stocked and fully equipped team kitchen where we can cook together. There are weekly pilates/ yoga classes and we provide subsidised gym membership.
We’re also keen to make sure you can develop personally and professionally so we’ll cover all expenses if you’re speaking at an event and we host a full calendar of relevant meetups here in the office.
Of course, there are regular company socials and one-off events with colleagues.
What happens next?
It’s important that you get to know us and that we get to know you.
Please apply using the link below. As well as your CV, we’d like to hear why you’re interested in the role and how your skills and experience will help you contribute to the team.
If your experience and skills are a match you may be asked to participate in interviews and undertake a technical assignment. We usually conduct 2-4 interviews with our top developers and the Cookpad management team. We want to give you the opportunity to find out more about us, as we understand more about your own skills and motivations.
The Cookpad team is made up of an incredible, diverse range of people. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, colour, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.