Senior Data Analyst
Cookpad is a tech company building a community platform that enables people to share recipe ideas and cooking tips. It’s a global platform used by on average around 100 million people every month across the world. Over 4 million recipes have been created by people in almost 70 countries.
And we’re only just getting started.
Our mission is to make everyday cooking fun. Because we believe that cooking is the key to a happier and healthier life for people, communities and the planet.
Our heritage is unique: Cookpad was founded in Japan in 1997 and is a listed company in Tokyo.
We set up our international HQ in the UK and here we’re a start-up, building the global platform and working with our colleagues around the world.
Cookpad is growing at speed and we’re looking for exceptional people who make things happen and create solutions on the scale we're looking for.
It’s not for everyone. Because of our speed and growth, it can feel chaotic. It's an environment where creators and problem-solvers flourish. We challenge ourselves and each other because this is about something bigger than all of us. Expect talented, motivated, intense, and interesting colleagues.
It feels like a start-up with global ambition. We work in small, collaborative teams and in a creative, fast-paced environment.
The role is based in Bristol in the UK - one of the most exciting emerging tech hubs in Europe, a city on National Geographic’s Cool List 2018 and the best place to live in the UK.
www.cookpad.comWhat’s it like to work at Cookpad?
Visit www.cookpadteam.com to find out more.
As Senior Data Analyst based within the product team your key deliverable will be actionable insights that guide and support fast-paced, high output product teams working on improvements to the global Cookpad app. To achieve this you will be an SQL expert who can design and implement robust data analytics and visualisations to support product decisions. Knowledge of Tableau is also required.
The role will report to the Business Intelligence Lead but involve daily interaction with product and tech leads. You will identify with the role if you have worked in product-driven businesses built automated sustainable solutions, and have experience of the whole insight life cycle from requirement definition and specification to development, and subsequent review.
What we are looking for:
The role requires the following key competencies, skills and experience:
Communicator: This is a collaborative role and you will need to demonstrate that you can engage, share and influence across multiple teams to bring about change and deliver outcomes. You will be confident working closely with technical and creative colleagues in a global environment. You can ask the ‘right’ questions and be able to translate required actions and decisions into technical data requirements.
Technical Implementer: Ensure accurate and clean collection, storage, visualisation and insight across multiple data sources. Use technical data structures to design accurate and flexible SQL queries that can be used for visualisations and analytics. Design tests and hypotheses and interpret the results in a rigorous and statistically valid way. Have a meticulous approach to data and always keen to make things better and more efficient.
Analyst: Assist product teams to make informed business decisions by interpreting data and turning it into actionable insights. You use a deep dive approach to understand problems and can translate complex data analysis into understandable visualisations, assumptions and testable hypothesis. You will be confidently able to accurately communicate the outputs of visualisations and statistical results in a simple, easily understandable way to senior stakeholders.
Passionate game changer: You are proactive, curious, flexible and always focussed on finding possible solutions. You always think ahead, will be passionate about making things better and have no hesitation in questioning the status quo. You can structure problems and synthesize large quantities of data. You are comfortable with ambiguity, creativity, and to constantly ask “why?”
- A higher degree in statistics, computer science, operational research, mathematics or any numerical scientific discipline.
- Expert knowledge of SQL- certification highly desirable
- Strong experience with data visualisation tools (e.g. Tableau, Power BI, Qlik)
- Knowledge and experience with statistics and strong technical skills
- Proven ability to derive insight from analytics data
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Excellent presentation and reporting skills
- A flexible and agile approach to ever changing and evolving data requests and requirements
- Experience of product analytics in a product-driven company
This is an insight role and not one that suits or requires experience preparing regular reactive reporting or monthly process reporting. As such there is no requirement for current ETL experience.
Ask everyone who works at Cookpad what we love about working here and the answer is: being part of the mission and our colleagues. Expect to work with people who are passionate about and committed to the mission: we challenge ourselves and each other to do the best work we can.
The benefits we offer are based on how we can best support your personal and professional well-being. We offer competitive salaries and all the things you’d expect - from employer pension contribution to private medical insurance; from time off for voluntary work to a cycle to work scheme.
We do a few things you might not expect:
- Whether it’s early starts or late finishes or parent-friendly working hours, we offer flexible working hours
- Breakfast is provided every day
- We have weekly team lunches
- There are weekly Pilates/ yoga classes
- We provide subsidised gym membership
- There are regular company socials
- We’ll cover all expenses if you’re speaking at an event
- We host a full calendar of meetups here in the office
- Teams have regular offsite ‘camps’ to learn and plan
And of course you can choose your own top-of-the-range equipment and setup.
In a few months, we’ll have a fully stocked and fully equipped team kitchen where we can cook together.
What happens next?
We’re building a global product with a global team that’s full of world-class talent. Our hiring process is designed to let your talent shine and for us to get to know each other so we know we’re the right fit.
- When we receive your application, it’s reviewed by one of your peers to see if your experience and skills are a match for what we’re looking for in the role. If they are, one of our Talent team will get in touch for a chat.
- For most roles we’ll then ask you to complete a tech assignment or task; or maybe to provide some sample code.
- The final step is to meet the team: mainly your team but also people from other teams, including the leadership team. We respect your time so this can happen all in one day or over a couple of visits.
The Cookpad team is made up of an incredible, diverse range of people. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, colour, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.