Senior Site Reliability Engineer
Cookpad is the largest recipe sharing service in the world. Over 2.8 million user recipes have been posted on Cookpad to date and 63 million users in Japan visit the site each month. Since 2014, Cookpad has expanded internationally and now operates in over 17 languages, 60 countries, and attracts an additional 35 million users per month outside of Japan.
Cookpad is looking for engineers to join our Site Reliability Engineering team. Site Reliability Engineers are a hybrid between system engineers and software engineers who are responsible for and who take ownership of reliability, automation, and scalability. You will focus on the systems and tools that enable our engineers to operate and scale the largest recipe sharing community in the world.
As a Site Reliability Engineer, you will build high performance and scalable systems with AWS and software. You will also work closely with engineers to advocate sensible, scalable, systems design and share responsibility with them in diagnosing, resolving, and preventing production issues. In the case of incidents, you will triage, mitigate and solve them with product team engineers.
- Build highly available, performant and scalable service infrastructure with AWS
- Design, develop and implement software that improves the stability, scalability, availability and latency of Cookpad.
- Solve problems occurring with our highly available production systems and build solutions and automation to prevent them from happening again
- Participate in the operations on-call rotation, triaging and addressing production issues as they arise
- Contribute to internal tools that help us improve our operations processes, manage our infrastructure, and scale our systems
- Engage with product engineering teams to triage production outages and carry forward action items to improve ongoing reliability
- Undertake measured, methodical, troubleshooting of complicated systems under pressure
Essential skills & experience
- 3+ years Site Reliability Engineer/DevOps experience in a Linux based AWS environment
- 2+ years experience with working professionally with Ruby on Rails
- Strong written communication skills in English and develop working relationships with coworkers in locations around the globe
- Fundamentals of TCP/IP(OSI) model and network architectures
- Strong coding skills in at least one programming language. Cookpad server side engineers work primarily in Ruby, with smatterings of shell script, Go, and Python
- Familiar with configuration management software such as Puppet and Chef
- Possess a passion for solving problems using open source software
- Solid foundation in deployment and management for large scale of Linux systems
- Understand large-scale complex systems from a reliability perspective
- Solid competency with SQL (ideally in a federated database environment; MySQL a plus)
- Contributions to open source
- Deep network analysis experience is a plus
- Strong Linux system-level analysis capabilities (Ubuntu a plus)
- Knowledge and experiences about highly available and scalable architectures for services expanded in multi-regions is a big plus
Why work for Cookpad?
Our mission and the scale of what we do.
The Cookpad App was one of the most downloaded Apps in 2017:
Bristol was named the best place to live in the UK in 2017: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-39320118
And made this list too:
Valuing our team means we offer competitive salaries and benefits you’d expect from a company wanting great people, including relocation support, generous employer pension contributions and an exceptional employee referral scheme, plus cycle to work and childcare voucher schemes.
We also do a few things you might not expect. We keep the team healthy with with fresh fruit and delicious edible gifts from visiting team members, offer days off for charity work, and peace of mind with group income protection, life assurance and private medical insurance.
We are central to transport hubs and bike routes which helps with flexible working and all-important downtime with family and friends.
Finally the physical space we are creating at our global offices in Bristol is an amazing, innovative work environment that reflects what we value, who we are and what we do.
Simply put - we like working here and think you will too.
Our hiring process
As part of the hiring process we want to give you every opportunity to find out more about us, and at the same time we will seek to understand more about your own skills and motivations.
Our interviews and technical assignments are challenging and we only hire top talent:
Application: Please apply using the link below. A brief cover note explaining why you are interested in the role and how your skills and experience, align with the job description will help you stand out.
Screening: Your application and resume will be screened by one of technical review teams.
Technical assignment: you may be asked to undertake a technical assignment
Interviews: There will be 2-3 interviews with SRE tech leads and the Cookpad CTO. We can connect via video-links or arrange face-to -face interviews.
Tech blog: https://sourcediving.com