Senior User Experience Designer
Cookpad is the largest recipe sharing community in the world and we believe we can build a better world through encouraging even more people to cook. Everyday home cooking has a profound impact on ourselves and the world around us: it makes us healthier, connects us with our friends and family, and makes our environment more sustainable. Through solving the problems related to everyday cooking, we help people live happier and healthier lives. That’s how we want to change the world.
We’re building our global headquarters in Bristol, and we’re looking for UX practitioners to join the team.
You will be working as the UX Designer on one of our five product streams. You’ll form a close-knit team with a Product Manager and Tech Lead to deliver innovative and compelling digital experiences. You’ll be expected to develop a deep understanding of how the technologies available to mobile apps can integrate seamlessly and delightfully into users’ lives. You’ll be responsible for applying user-centred design methods to deliver useful, usable and enjoyable interfaces. A self-starter, you’ll be passionate about helping the business and engineering teams better understand their users’ needs. A hands-on practitioner, you’ll be happy to rapidly research, design and test new product features.
We’re passionate about pushing the boundaries of mobile technologies to create products people delight in using. We’re particularly looking for UX Designers with expertise in one or more of the following areas:
- Design of products that encourage and assist users to generate vibrant, compelling multimedia content.
- Use of maps and location-based content in apps. Experience of overcoming small-screen mapping interface challenges, and innovative use of local content.
- Design for in-app messaging/chat, including to individuals, family, friends and other temporary or permanent groups. Communication to support user tasks, including both instant and longer-term conversations. Integration of bots into messaging, including the UX of AI chat.
- Design for innovative camera use in apps, such as smart content generation, assistance with small-screen video creation and AI for photo and video enhancement.
- Design of products that use social timelines to encourage use and expose new content.
What you’ll do
- Work closely with the Product Manager and Tech Lead to deliver a compelling product that meets business goals within technical constraints
- Design and document digital product interfaces, including sketches, wireframes, prototypes, information architectures and user flows, primarily for iOS and Android apps
- Plan and conduct regular, rapid user research to evaluate and iterate on product features and interfaces
- Communicate user insights and design decisions to team members at all levels
Essential skills and experience
- 5+ years as a UX practitioner in a commercial environment
- A deep knowledge and passion for user-centred design practice. This should include user research, requirements gathering, workshopping and UX design techniques
- Experience of working on end-to-end design projects: from ideation to delivery, via selection of appropriate approaches, prioritisation, big-picture and granular designs and validation.
- Experience working in-house on digital product design
- Experience working on iOS and Android apps
- A track record of planning and conducting regular design validation and usability testing
- A strong portfolio demonstrating excellence at translating business and user needs into compelling user interfaces
- Excellent written and spoken communications skills in English (No Japanese skills required)
Preferred skills and experience
- A track record of running strategic user research to inform product roadmaps, for example behavioural personas and experience maps
- Experience of designing for internationalisation and localisation
- Experience of running international user research
- Experience of working with Agile engineering teams in a fast moving environment
- An ability to produce compelling, high fidelity, dev-ready user interface designs
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience in Human Computer Interaction, Interaction Design, Psychology, Human Factors or a related field