Lead Product Designer
Cookpad is the largest recipe sharing community in the world and we believe we can build a better world through encouraging even more people to cook.
Everyday, home cooking has a profound impact on ourselves and the world around us: it makes us healthier, connects us with our friends and family, and makes our environment more sustainable. Through solving the problems related to everyday cooking, we help people live happier and healthier lives. That’s how we want to change the world.
Cookpad is a product-driven company and our newly formed Product team moves fast, shares brave ideas and take chances to deliver a great product experience.
As a User Experience Lead you will be a persuasive advocate for users in your product stream, responsible for using your deep and rich insights and strategic thinking to help inform and shape the product roadmap.
You will work closely with Product and Engineering Leads to design great experiences for a global audience of almost 100-million users while also conceptualising and developing strategies to gain the next 100-million.
Your experience in leading, growing and inspiring great UX Design-led teams will allow you to identify and attract the top talent that you will in-turn help to develop further and ensure that as a team you produce incredible experiences for your users.
As a start-up team in the global market we are looking for people with drive, desire and the know-how to get one step ahead of the need. Ways in which you’ll contribute will include:
- Work in close partnership with your Product and Engineering leads to develop winning strategies for your product area
- Use strategic thinking and make user-centric recommendations to help inform and guide the product roadmap
- Demonstrate maturity, humility and consistent leadership to guide and mentor more junior members of the team
- Have a consistent focus on customers, demonstrated by placing our customer and their needs ahead of design solutions and technology
- Utilise user research data for strategy, prototyping, crafting user interfaces and interactions, validation and testing for usability
- Drive and be responsible for UX quality across product/devices/territories
- Work with other UX Leads and the design team on delivery and collaborative processes
- Develop strong creative mobile-focused UI designs that incorporate interaction, animation, visual concepts, typography and imagery
- Communicate and rationalise design intent with senior stakeholders, and gather feedback throughout the design process
- Collaborate effectively with an agile cross-disciplinary team to evaluate the feasibility of proposed designs and champion great UX that balances business and technical considerations.
What we are looking for:
- Evidence of leading and inspiring highly effective teams that have demonstrably solved real world user problems
- A motivated self starter that can operate effectively in a fast moving environment. Able to proactively set direction within an overall strategy and communicate that with team and direct reports
- A hands-on practitioner, and able to build out teams as we need them
- An obsession with understanding user problems and a focus on the details so that you can conceptualise new approaches and solutions
- A pragmatic approach with the ability to listen to and learn with your team members both as individuals and in an agile development process
- Proven expertise of usability and user experience principles, and experience using a wide range of research methods to get the best insights from user research and testing
- A desire to build, lead and inspire a great team, and who is wanting to know how they can do better and improve their team even more
- The confidence and verbal/writing skills that allow you to communicate your ideas and vision, inspire the teams, and defend design decisions
Skills to be successful:
- Experience as a Head of UX, a UX-focused Founder or significant UX leadership experience at a senior level for complex mobile products and across multiple markets and cultures
- Demonstrable strategic thinking that can deliver user-centric results in a mobile product environment
- Experience leading and/or mentoring designers
- Exceptional oral communication skills are essential, coupled with a first class ability to present and summarise information to diverse audiences
Why Work for Cookpad?
People join us because they share our vision to improve people’s lives. We hire smart people who thrive in small, highly collaborative, and energised teams, and who look at what we do and want to be part of it.
Uniquely, we have a mature product in Japan but in the global market-space we are a start-up team with a new product vision and freedom to be innovative and explore brave ideas.
Valuing our team means we offer competitive salaries and benefits you’d expect from a company wanting great people, including a generous 7% employer pension contribution and an exceptional employee referral scheme, plus cycle to work and childcare voucher schemes.
We also do a few things you might not expect. We keep you going with fresh fruit and delicious edible gifts from visiting team members, days off for charity work and peace of mind with group income protection, life assurance and private medical insurance.
We are central to transport hubs and bike routes which helps with flexible working and all-important downtime with family and friends.
Finally the physical space we are creating for the Bristol team inspires us. We love having natural light and windows that open, sit-stand desks and a choice of Macs or PCs.
Simply put - we like working here and think you will too.