Senior Ruby Web Developer
Cookpad is the largest recipe sharing community in the world and we believe we can build a better world through encouraging even more people to cook. Today we are helping more than 100 million people each month - but as far as we’re concerned, we’ve barely got started.
We believe we can build a better world through encouraging even more people to cook. Everyday, home cooking has a profound impact on ourselves and the world around us: it makes us healthier and connects us with our friends and family. Through solving the problems related to everyday cooking, we help people live happier and healthier lives in an environment that is more sustainable. That’s how we want to change the world.
What we do really does make a difference on a global scale. Currently our biggest Cookpad communities are in Indonesia and Japan but we have growing communities across Europe, the Middle East and Africa. Our developers contribute by developing and testing new product that we believe can support communities and improve people’s lives. Uniquely, we have a mature product in Japan but, in the global market-space, we are a startup team looking to the future. We hire the best people who thrive working in small, highly collaborative, and energised international teams. Design and user experience is at the heart of everything we do.
What you will do
Is this role for you?
- Rapidly develop user-facing features, predominantly using Ruby and leveraging the Rails Framework
- Support our backend platform that serves web clients and provides REST API endpoints for mobile client apps
- Write clean, maintainable, and well-tested code
- Contribute in all phases of development
- Investigate and resolve performance issues, bottlenecks, and inefficiencies
- Review PRs from other team members to maintain quality and share knowledge
- Extensive experience working professionally with Ruby on Rails
- Experienced in performance, debugging, and refactoring
- Comfortable with the full stack to deliver features from idea to production
- Inquisitive, motivated, and comfortable working with a distributed, multinational team
- Desire to rapidly contribute to Cookpad services and improve the lives of millions of users
Valuing our team means we offer competitive salaries and benefits you’d expect from a company wanting great people, including a generous 7% employer pension contribution and an exceptional employee referral scheme, plus cycle to work and childcare voucher schemes.
We also do a few things you might not expect. We keep you going with fresh fruit and delicious edible gifts from visiting team members, days off for charity work and peace of mind with group income protection, life assurance and private medical insurance.
We are central to transport hubs and bike routes which helps with flexible working and all-important downtime with family and friends.
Finally the physical space we are creating for the Bristol team is an amazing, innovative work environment that reflects what we value, who we are and what we do.
Simply put - we like working here and think you will too.
Why work for Cookpad?
Our mission and the scale of what we do
Bristol was named the best place to live in the UK in 2017: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-39320118
And made this list too:
At Cookpad we have designed a hiring process that allows your talent to shine:
Screening: Your application and resume will be screened by one of our technical review teams. It helps if we can also view sample code via a Github, Stackoverflow, or BitBucket profile.
Technical assignment: If your experience and skills are a match, you may be asked to undertake a technical assignment or, depending on the role, provide sample code.
Interviews: We usually conduct 2-3 interviews with our top developers and the Cookpad management team . We want to give you the opportunity to find out more about us, as we understand more about your own skills and motivations.