Senior Ruby Web Developer
As a Cookpad Ruby developer, you will join a very high performing global team to help deliver our Web and API services to end users all over the world.
Cookpad is a tech company building a community platform that enables people to share recipe ideas and cooking tips. It’s a global platform used by on average around 100 million people every month across the world. Over 4 million recipes have been created by people in almost 70 countries.
And we’re only just getting started.
Our mission is to make everyday cooking fun. Because we believe that cooking is the key to a happier and healthier life for people, communities and the planet.
Our heritage is unique: Cookpad was founded in Japan in 1997 and is a listed company in Tokyo. We set up our international HQ in the UK and here we’re a start-up, building the global platform and working with our colleagues around the world.
Cookpad is growing at speed and we’re looking for exceptional people who make things happen and create solutions on the scale we're looking for.
It’s not for everyone. Because of our speed and growth, it can feel chaotic. It's an environment where creators and problem-solvers flourish. We challenge ourselves and each other because this is about something bigger than all of us. Expect talented, motivated, intense, and interesting colleagues.
It feels like a start-up with global ambition. We work in small, collaborative teams and in a creative, fast-paced environment.
The role is based in Bristol in the UK - one of the most exciting emerging tech hubs in Europe, a city on National Geographic’s Cool List 2018 and the best place to live in the UK.
What’s it like to work at Cookpad?
Visit www.cookpadteam.com to find out more.
Is this role for you?
- Rapidly develop user-facing features, predominantly using Ruby and leveraging the Rails Framework
- Support our backend platform that serves web clients and provides REST API endpoints for mobile client apps
- Write clean, maintainable, and well-tested code
- Contribute in all phases of development
- Investigate and resolve performance issues, bottlenecks, and inefficiencies
- Review PRs from other team members to maintain quality and share knowledge
This is a senior role joining our foundation RoR team in Bristol and we are looking for:
- Extensive experience working professionally with Ruby on Rails
- Experienced in performance, debugging, and refactoring
- Comfortable with the full stack to deliver features from idea to production
- Inquisitive, motivated, and comfortable working with a distributed, multinational team
- Desire to rapidly contribute to Cookpad services and improve the lives of millions of users
Why join Cookpad?
Ask everyone who works at Cookpad what we love about working here and the answer is: being part of the mission and our colleagues. Expect to work with people who are passionate about and committed to the mission: we challenge ourselves and each other to do the best work we can.
The benefits we offer are based on how we can best support your personal and professional well-being. We offer competitive salaries and all the things you’d expect - from employer pension contribution to private medical insurance; from time off for voluntary work to a cycle to work scheme.
We do a few things you might not expect:
- Whether it’s early starts or late finishes or parent-friendly working hours, we offer flexible working hours
- Breakfast is provided every day
- We have weekly team lunches
- There are weekly Pilates/ yoga classes
- We provide subsidised gym membership
- There are regular company socials
- We host Lunch and Learn sessions with internal and external speakers
- We’ll cover all expenses if you’re speaking at an event
- We host a full calendar of meetups here in the office
- Teams have regular offsite ‘camps’ to learn and plan
And of course you can choose your own top-of-the-range equipment and setup.
We also have a fully stocked and fully equipped team kitchen where we can cook together.
What happens next?
We’re building a global product with a global team that’s full of world-class talent. Our hiring process is designed to let your talent shine and for us to get to know each other so we know we’re the right fit.
- When we receive your application, it’s reviewed by one of your peers to see if your experience and skills are a match for what we’re looking for in the role. If they are, one of our Talent team will get in touch for a chat. If you’re a developer, it’s great to see some of your sample code via a Github, Stackoverflow, or BitBucket profile.
- For most roles we’ll then ask you to complete a tech assignment or task; or maybe to provide some sample code.
- The final step is to meet the team: mainly your team but also people from other teams, including the leadership team. We respect your time so this can happen all in one day or over a couple of visits.
The Cookpad team is made up of an incredible, diverse range of people. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, colour, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.