Our purpose at Cookpad is to make everyday cooking fun. Not just because we like food but because we believe that cooking is key to a happier and healthier life for people, communities and the planet.
Everyday, home cooking has a profound impact on ourselves and the world around us: it makes us healthier, connects us with our friends and family, and makes our environment more sustainable. By solving the problems related to everyday cooking and encouraging more people to cook, we believe we can help build a better world.
We are building a team of diverse, exceptional problem-solvers from around the world. We only hire passionate, smart and innovative people who want to make a difference.
Cookpad started out in Japan and is already the largest recipe sharing community in the world with nearly 4 million recipes created by users active in 60 countries.
But we’re only just getting started.
We’ve just set up our international HQ in the UK. Here we operate as a start-up with global ambition. We work in small, collaborative teams and in a creative, fast-paced environment.
The role is based in Bristol, UK - a city on National Geographic’s Cool List 2018 http://www.natgeotraveller.co.uk/smart-travel/features/the-cool-list-2018/ and the best place to live in the UK according to the Sunday Times Best Places to Live Guide 2017 http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-39320118
Design and User experience is at the heart of everything we do. Your role as a Product Designer is to bring our vision to life through creating experiences that are accessible and intuitive but feel inspiring, empowering, safe and a delight to use.
We are looking for people with passion, an incredible focus on quality and the ability to boldly innovate. You care passionately about representing the users you design for, and you have a curiosity about them. You want to design not just the best thing but the right thing.
We are currently hiring in these areas:
Creators are at the heart of Cookpad. Our goal is to make it easier for them to capture and share their stories around cooking. Experience of working on a mobile service involving user generated content particularly with photography or video is of particular interest
We know that more personal experiences help our cooks to grow. That means providing inspiration around ideas but also finding the right connections within the global community who can help on that journey. Search and personalisation are themes we’re exploring here.
Cooking and food is an experience best shared with others, and those who share their passion with others find deep meaning in doing so. We want to look beyond comments to creating safe, easy to use ways to support real time communication. Experience in chat, messaging applications is desirable.
As a start-up team in the global market we are seeking people with drive, passion and a burning desire to help us deliver our mission:
Ways in which you’ll contribute will include:
- Exceptional mobile-focused UI designs that incorporate interaction, animation, visual concepts, typography and imagery.
- Consistent focus on our users, demonstrated by placing their needs ahead of design solutions and technology.
- Communicate and rationalise design intent, and gather feedback throughout the design process.
- Utilise user research data for prototyping, crafting user interfaces and interactions, validation and testing for usability.
- Create great-looking final artwork and animation when needed ready for development, across a range of screens and devices
- Work with delivery teams to implement designs to a great standard
What we are looking for:
- An outstanding creative portfolio you can share with us with a strong focus on mobile UX and UI design is essential
- In-depth knowledge of UI design patterns and trends and excellent UI and interaction design skills
- A great attention to the details of your work, and pride in the craftsmanship of your UI and interaction designs
- A solid understanding of user-centered design methodologies and UX design principles
- Proven understanding of usability and user experience principles
- Experience designing solutions for platforms using industry standard tools and best practice processes
- Excellent collaboration skills and experience of working closely with design / product and engineering teams
- Confidence and experience working in an Agile, lean environment with quick iterative release cycles.
- Excellent verbal communication skills
Skills to be successful:
- Significant UI design experience, for complex mobile products and across multiple markets and cultures. Work in chat / communications is a strong preference.
- Strong oral communication skills are essential, coupled with an ability to present and summarise information to diverse audiences.
Why join Cookpad?
People join Cookpad to be part of something bigger - to make a difference.
We offer competitive salaries and all the benefits you’d expect, including a generous 7% employer pension contribution, private medical insurance + cycle to work and childcare voucher schemes.
We also do a few things you might not expect. From breakfast to team lunches, from pilates to cooking lessons, from time off for voluntary work to company socials.
We believe that the space we work in is important. We’re creating a beautiful, innovative work environment that reflects our culture and values.
What happens next?
It’s important that you get to know us and that we get to know you.
Please apply using the link below. As well as your CV, we’d like to hear why you’re interested in the role and how your skills and experience will help you contribute to the team.
We will let you know if we’d like you to come in and meet some of the team. As part of the interview process we will be assessing technical capability and logical reasoning skills.
The Cookpad team is made up of an incredible, diverse range of people. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, colour, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.