Machine Learning Researcher
Cookpad is the world’s largest recipe sharing platform. Our mission is to make everyday cooking fun.
Everyday, home cooking has a profound impact on ourselves and the world around us: it makes us healthier, connects us with our friends and family, and makes our environment more sustainable. Through solving the problems related to everyday cooking, we help people live happier and healthier lives.
Cookpad started out in Japan and is already the largest recipe sharing community in the world with nearly 4 million recipes created by users active in 60 countries.
But we’re only just getting started.
We’ve just set up our international HQ in the UK. Here we operate as a start-up with global ambition. We work in small, collaborative teams and in a creative, fast-paced environment. We are building a team of diverse, exceptional problem-solvers from around the world. We only hire passionate, smart and innovative people who want to make a difference.
Joining Cookpad as a Machine Learning Researcher is a career defining opportunity. Our Machine Learning Research team is growing and has already attracted high level talent in NLP and image processing. You will work at the cutting edge of Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence to build video, text, speech and action interfaces.
As a Machine Learning Researcher at Cookpad you will:
- Enhance Cookpad products and services with supervised and unsupervised ML algorithms in NLP (translation, ontology, speech), image and video recognition, action recognition and skill detection from a vast array of text, image and video data
- Research, code and deliver alongside our product and engineering team to test and release new features to millions of users worldwide
- Creatively inform future roadmap and product directions by suggesting new types of data and methods to engage our users (IoT, AR)
- Adapt and maintain established models to continuously learn from users and enhance user experience
- Work with an international team of ML researchers, Data Scientists and engineers solving real world problems
- Keep updated with the latest breakthroughs to both learn from the wider research community and share research at world class conferences
- MSc in Computer Science or a related field with 3+ years of ML-related work, or an ML-focused Ph.D in Computer Science or related field
- Experience in building machine learning systems
- Track record translating product and feature requirements into production ready services
- Experience with Python, Tensorflow/Keras or other Deep Learning frameworks
Why join Cookpad?
Our mission and the scale of what we do
Cookpad was one of the most downloaded apps in 2017:
Bristol was named the best place to live in the UK in 2017: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-39320118
And made this list too:
http://www.natgeotraveller.co.uk/smart-travel/features/the-cool-list-2018/In addition to having the opportunity to a career-defining role you will also work with respected peers and a talented technical team.
Valuing our team means we offer competitive salaries and benefits you’d expect from a company wanting great people, including a generous 7% employer pension contribution and an exceptional employee referral scheme, plus cycle to work and childcare voucher schemes.
We also do a few things you might not expect. We keep you going with fresh fruit and delicious edible gifts from visiting team members, days off for charity work and peace of mind with group income protection, life assurance and private medical insurance.
We are central to transport hubs and bike routes which helps with flexible working and all-important downtime with family and friends.
Finally the physical space we are creating for the Bristol team is an amazing, innovative work environment that reflects what we value, who we are and what we do.
Simply put - we like working here and think you will too.
At Cookpad we have designed a hiring process that allows your talent to shine:
Screening: Your application and resume will be screened by one of our technical review teams. It helps if we can also view sample code via a Github, Stackoverflow, or BitBucket profile.
Technical assignment: If your experience and skills are a match, you will be asked to undertake a technical assignment.
Interviews: We usually conduct 2-3 interviews with our top developers and the Cookpad management team. We want to give you the opportunity to find out more about us, as we understand more about your own skills and motivations.