Cookpad is a tech company building a community platform that enables people to share recipe ideas and cooking tips. It’s a global platform used by on average around 100 million people every month across the world. Over 4 million recipes have been created by people in almost 70 countries. And we’re only just getting started.
Our mission is to make everyday cooking fun. Because we believe that cooking is the key to a happier and healthier life for people, communities and the planet.
Our heritage is unique: Cookpad was founded in Japan in 1997 and is a listed company in Tokyo.
We set up our international HQ in Bristol, UK and here we’re a start-up, building the global platform and working with our colleagues around the world.
Cookpad is growing at speed and we’re looking for exceptional people who make things happen. It takes a certain mix of creativity, and ingenuity to create solutions on the scale we're looking for.
It’s not for everyone. Because of our speed and growth, it can feel chaotic. It's an environment where creators and problem-solvers flourish. We challenge ourselves and each other because this is about something bigger than all of us. Expect talented, motivated and interesting colleagues.
It feels like a start-up with global ambition. We work in small, collaborative teams and in a creative, fast-paced environment.
The UX Researcher Role
As a UX Researcher you will be responsible for developing and supporting Cookpad’s approach to international user research.
You believe that great experiences are always inspired by a deep understanding of the user. With your passion for helping the business better serve the needs of our global audience you will use research to uncover themes and patterns across a range of cultures and be able to distill the important insights to help us achieve Cookpad’s goals.
A hands-on practitioner, you’ll be just as happy to rapidly research and test new product features as well as undertake longer-term research around home cooking across the world and bring this to life to help teams make informed product decisions.
You thrive in a rapidly changing environment and enjoy designing effective research projects and delivering actionable research findings and recommendations and will have a passion for building a culture which puts the voice of the user at the heart of everything we do.
What we expect from you
As a start-up team in the global market we like people with drive, desire and the know-how to get one step ahead of the need.
- Proven understanding of usability and user experience principles.
- Excellent understanding of qualitative user research methodologies, their benefits, costs, time frames and suitability to different stages of development as well as a good grounding in quantitative methods.
- Be hands-on conducting different types of user research, potentially in different countries including lab and field based research.
- Ability to quickly synthesise user data and research into usable and actionable recommendations for product / design and engineering teams.
- Excellent collaboration skills and experience of working closely with design / product and engineering teams.
- Is comfortable working in an agile, lean environment with quick iterative research.
- Making sure that the findings of user research help inform the business strategy and product road maps.
- Experience of working with data analytics to synthesise both the quantitative data provided by them with the qualitative data from UX to form strong hypothesis for design, research and engineering.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong stakeholder management skills.
Skills to be successful:
- Experience in UX research at a senior level, ideally on mobile products and across multiple markets and cultures.
- Knowledge and demonstrated practice of qualitative methods of user research, including usability testing, depth interviews, diary studies.
- Strong written and oral communication skills are essential, coupled with an ability to present and summarise information to diverse audiences.
- Experience in managing or coaching a team in research practices.
- Knowledge of quantitative methods of user research, including a high degree of comfort with validating hypotheses through user data.
- Ability to brainstorm, sketch ideas or wireframes is a plus.
- Experience working with research tools such as Google Analytics, MixPanel, UXCam or similar.
Ask everyone who works at Cookpad what we love about working here and the answer is: being part of the mission and our colleagues. Expect to work with people who are passionate about and committed to the mission: we challenge ourselves and each other to do the best work we can.
The benefits we offer are based on how we can best support your personal and professional well-being. We offer competitive salaries and all the things you’d expect - from employer pension contribution to private medical insurance; from time off for voluntary work to a cycle to work scheme.
We do a few things you might not expect:
- Whether it’s early starts or late finishes or parent-friendly working hours, we offer flexible working hours
- Breakfast is provided every day
- We have a fully stocked and equipped team kitchen where you can cook together
- We have weekly team lunches
- There are weekly Pilates/ yoga classes
- We provide subsidised gym membership
- There are regular company socials
- We host Lunch and Learn sessions with internal and external speakers
- We’ll cover all expenses if you’re speaking at an event
- We host a full calendar of meetups here in the office
- Teams have regular offsite ‘camps’ to learn and plan
And of course you can choose your own top-of-the-range equipment and setup.
The Cookpad team is made up of an incredible, diverse range of people. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, colour, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.