Lead Product Designer
Cookpad is a tech company building a community platform that enables people to share recipe ideas and cooking tips. It’s a global platform used by on average around 100 million people every month across the world. Over 4 million recipes have been created by people in almost 70 countries.
And we’re only just getting started.
Our mission is to make everyday cooking fun. Because we believe that cooking is the key to a happier and healthier life for people, communities and the planet.
Our heritage is unique: Cookpad was founded in Japan in 1997 and is a listed company in Tokyo.
We set up our international HQ in the UK and here we’re a start-up, building the global platform and working with our colleagues around the world.
Cookpad is growing at speed and we’re looking for exceptional people who make things happen. It takes a certain mix of creativity, ingenuity and crazy to create solutions on the scale we're looking for.
It’s not for everyone. Because of our speed and growth, it can feel chaotic. It's an environment where creators and problem-solvers flourish. We challenge ourselves and each other because this is about something bigger than all of us. Expect talented, motivated, intense, and interesting colleagues.
It feels like a start-up with global ambition. We work in small, collaborative teams and in a creative, fast-paced environment.
What’s it like to work at Cookpad? Visit www.cookpadteam.com to find out more.
Design and user experience is at the heart of everything we do. Your role as a Lead Product Designer is to use your deep and rich insights and strategic thinking to help shape and deliver experiences that will see us meet the needs of the next 100-million users.
As a start-up team in the global market we are looking for people with passion, a focus on quality and the ability to boldly innovate.
Ways in which you’ll contribute will include:
- Work in close partnership with product and engineering leads to deliver valuable everyday solutions for our global audience
- Have a relentless focus on our users, demonstrated by placing their needs ahead of design solutions and technology.
- Develop deep user understanding based on research and analytics data.
- Create design concepts and develop then from early stage sketches through to fully featured prototypes
- Communicate and rationalise design intent with senior stakeholders, and gather feedback throughout the design process
- Develop strong creative mobile-focused UI designs that incorporate interaction, animation, visual concepts, typography and imagery
- Demonstrate maturity, humility and consistent leadership to guide and mentor more junior members of the team
- Work with other UX Leads and the design team on delivery and collaborative processes
What we are looking for:
- A portfolio of top class work that you’ve helped deliver and that solved real world problems. You can talk in detail about examples of what you’ve shipped and what you’ve learned along every step of the way.
- A motivated self-starter that can operate effectively in a fast moving environment. Able to proactively set direction within an overall strategy and communicate that with team and direct reports
- An obsession with understanding user problems and a focus on the details so that you can conceptualise new approaches and solutions
- A pragmatic approach with the ability to listen to and learn with your team members both as individuals and in an agile development process
- Proven expertise of usability and user experience principles, and experience using a wide range of research methods to get the best insights from user research and testing
- A desire to build, lead and inspire a great team, and who is wanting to know how they can do better and improve their team even more
- The confidence and verbal/writing skills that allow you to communicate your ideas and vision, inspire the teams, and defend design decisions
Skills to be successful:
- Significant UX experience for complex mobile products and across multiple markets and cultures. Start up experience is a bonus.
- Demonstrable strategic thinking that can deliver user-centric results in a mobile product environment
- Experience leading and/or mentoring designers
- Exceptional communication skills are essential, coupled with a first class ability to present and summarise information to diverse audiences.
Ask everyone who works at Cookpad what we love about working here and the answer is: being part of the mission and our colleagues. Expect to work with people who are passionate about and committed to the mission: we challenge ourselves and each other to do the best work we can.
The benefits we offer are based on how we can best support your personal and professional well-being. We offer competitive salaries and all the things you’d expect - from employer pension contribution to private medical insurance; from time off for voluntary work to a cycle to work scheme.
We do a few things you might not expect:
- Whether it’s early starts or late finishes or parent-friendly working hours, we offer flexible working hours
- Breakfast is provided every day
- We have weekly team lunches
- There are weekly Pilates/ yoga classes
- We provide subsidised gym membership
- There are regular company socials
- We host Lunch and Learn sessions with internal and external speakers
- We’ll cover all expenses if you’re speaking at an event
- We host a full calendar of meetups here in the office
- Teams have regular offsite ‘camps’ to learn and plan
And of course you can choose your own top-of-the-range equipment and setup.
We also have a fully stocked and fully equipped team kitchen where we can cook together.
What happens next?
We’re building a global product with a global team that’s full of world-class talent. Our hiring process is designed to let your talent shine and for us to get to know each other so we know we’re the right fit.
- When we receive your application, it’s reviewed by one of your peers to see if your experience and skills are a match for what we’re looking for in the role. If they are, one of our Talent team will get in touch for a chat. If you’re a developer, it’s great to see some of your sample code via a Github, Stackoverflow, or BitBucket profile.
- For this role we’ll ask you to complete a design review
- The final step is to meet the team: mainly your team but also people from other teams, including the leadership team. We respect your time so this can happen all in one day or over a couple of visits.
The Cookpad team is made up of an incredible, diverse range of people. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, colour, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.