Cookpad is a tech company building a community platform that enables people to share recipe ideas and cooking tips. It’s a global platform used by on average around 100 million people every month across the world. Over 4 million recipes have been created by people in almost 70 countries. And we’re only just getting started.
Our mission is to make everyday cooking fun. Because we believe that cooking is the key to a happier and healthier life for people, communities and the planet.
Our heritage is unique: Cookpad was founded in Japan in 1997 and is a listed company in Tokyo.
We set up our international HQ in Bristol, UK and here we’re a start-up, building the global platform and working with our colleagues around the world.
Cookpad is growing at speed and we’re looking for exceptional people who make things happen. It takes a certain mix of creativity, and ingenuity to create solutions on the scale we're looking for.
It’s not for everyone. Because of our speed and growth, it can feel chaotic. It's an environment where creators and problem-solvers flourish. We challenge ourselves and each other because this is about something bigger than all of us. Expect talented, motivated and interesting colleagues.
It feels like a start-up with global ambition. We work in small, collaborative teams and in a creative, fast-paced environment.
About the Financial Accountant role
We are looking for a Financial Accountant to join our Finance team in our Global HQ in Bristol. This role reports into the Finance Manager, providing support to Cookpad operations in Europe, North America, South America, Middle East and Asia. There are currently 12 Global subsidiaries under the ownership and responsibility of the UK company.
The role holder will also work with the FP&A Manager, the global outsourcing provider, and the Japanese parent Finance team.
This individual will possess strong technical knowledge of accounting and tax matters as the job holder will be expected to make a demonstrable contribution to the continuous improvement of the team.
Financial Accountant Duties & Responsibilities:
- Review of all Global VAT/GST/WHT returns
- Review of all Global payrolls
- Review of all Global Company Secretarial filings
- Support the accurate reporting of international results to Group finance in Japan at month, quarter and year end
- Assisting with the year-end statutory audit process, ensuring deadlines are met
- Working with the global outsourcing provider to ensure all compliance deadlines are met
- Working with country heads to provide first class support in lieu of local finance teams
- Supporting the FP&A Manager – month end interaction
- Responsible for championing the accounting areas of responsibility, and continually seeking and implementing efficiencies and improvements to processes and controls. Process notes to be developed and maintained for all areas of responsibility.
- Ad-hoc projects including setting up in new territories, selection of service providers, transfer pricing and system implementation
Financial Accountant Skills and Knowledge required:
- Qualified accountant (ACA or ACCA preferred)
- Experience of working either with a wide variety of clients in practice or as an Accountant in a global SME finance team
- Demonstrable communication skills – ability to communicate effectively with a broad spectrum of stakeholders
- Hands on ‘can do’ attitude, with flexible, pragmatic, approach to meeting deadlines
- Advanced excel and systems (ERP) knowledge and skills – previous experience with Workday beneficial
- An understanding of compliance in a wide range of countries, adaptable to many different cultures
- Commercial understanding with ability to step back and see a bigger picture
- A sense of urgency and realisation of deadlines
Ask everyone who works at Cookpad what we love about working here and the answer is: being part of the mission and our colleagues. Expect to work with people who are passionate about and committed to the mission: we challenge ourselves and each other to do the best work we can.
The benefits we offer are based on how we can best support your personal and professional well-being. We offer competitive salaries and all the things you’d expect - from employer pension contribution to private medical insurance; from time off for voluntary work to a cycle to work scheme.
We do a few things you might not expect:
- Whether it’s early starts or late finishes or parent-friendly working hours, we offer flexible working hours
- Breakfast is provided every day
- We have a fully stocked and equipped team kitchen where you can cook together
- We have weekly team lunches
- There are weekly Pilates/ yoga classes
- We provide subsidised gym membership
- There are regular company socials
- We host Lunch and Learn sessions with internal and external speakers
- We’ll cover all expenses if you’re speaking at an event
- We host a full calendar of meetups here in the office
- Teams have regular offsite ‘camps’ to learn and plan
And of course you can choose your own top-of-the-range equipment and setup.
What happens next?
We’re building a global product with a global team that’s full of world-class talent. Our hiring process is designed to let your talent shine and for us to get to know each other so we know we’re the right fit.
- When we receive your application, it’s reviewed by one of your peers to see if your experience and skills are a match for what we’re looking for in the role. If they are, one of our Talent team will get in touch for a chat.
- The next step will be interviews with stakeholders and the finance team . We may ask you to complete a financial reporting task as part of the interview process.
- The final step is to meet the team: mainly your team but also people from other teams, including the leadership team. We respect your time so this can happen all in one day or over a couple of visits.
The Cookpad team is made up of an incredible, diverse range of people. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, colour, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.